Our zucchini cake recipe is super easy to make and is crazy moist with the loveliest hint of spice taste. Whether you have to go pick up some zucchini or if you are overflowing with fresh zucchini from the garden, you need to make this easy zucchini cake recipe!
What Can I Make With Zucchini?
Do you ever wonder what to do with zucchini? It’s such a versatile veggie with tons of possibilities And it will make recipes with a rich texture that almost melts in your mouth.
One of my family’s favorite zucchini recipes is zucchini cake, with zucchini bread, and zucchini parmesan chips being a close second and third! You can’t go wrong with any veggie that can be turned into a yummy cake!
Easy ZUCCHINI Cake recipe
This easy zucchini cake recipe is something the entire family will love. It is a great idea to take to a potluck or family gathering since it has that taste of nostalgia too!
This Easy Zucchini Cake Recipe:
- Serves 16-20
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30-40 min
Ingredients Needed for Zucchini CAKe Recipe
Ingredients to Make the Cake
- 1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups zucchini, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- A teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- A teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
Ingredients to Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 6-8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Instructions to Make Zucchini Cake
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Next, spray a 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, and then lightly dust with flour.
Grate zucchini, and then set aside.
Then, in a large bowl, stir together sugar, vanilla extract, oil, and eggs.
In a medium bowl whisk together flour baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Next, add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, and then mix, until smooth.
Stir in zucchini and nuts, if using.
Then, pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove from oven to cooling rack.
Instructions to Make HOMEMADE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
Then, add in butter, and beat until smooth and creamy.
Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition.
Beat until smooth.
Next, beat in vanilla extract, until smooth.
Spread frosting onto the cake with an offset spatula (you may have some frosting leftover–so grab a spoon and enjoy!).
Serve immediately, or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to Make GLUTEN-FREE ZUCCHINI CAKE RECIPE
If you want to make gluten free zucchini cake, you will have to replace a couple of ingredients.
- Swap out the regular for a gluten free all-purpose flour.
- Also, double check that the baking powderas well as all of you other processed ingredients are gluten-free, to be safe.
That’s it, enjoy!
How to Make VEGAN ZUCCHINI CAKE RECIPE
To make a vegan zucchini cake:
- Swap out all of your dairy ingredients for plant-based versions, so use vegan cream cheese and vegan butter, instead.
- You can replace eggs with an egg replacer from the store, or you can make your own! I love using this applesauce “egg” in all of my baked goods! Mix 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce, along with 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. This equals (1) “egg”.
- Another option is using a flaxseed meal “egg”. Combine 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons of water. I usually mix this up and then let it sit in my fridge for about 15-20 minutes so it can thicken.
40 minutes 30 seconds
55 minutes 30 seconds
2 cups zucchini, finely grated
1 ¼ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
3 large eggs, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
Cream Cheese Frosting:
2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
6-8 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 13×9 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and lightly dust with flour.
- Grate zucchini, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, vanilla extract, oil and eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Stir in zucchini and nuts if using.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack.
- Cool completely.
- To make the frosting, in a large mixing bowl add cream cheese, and beat until smooth.
- Add in butter, and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing in between each addition, and beat until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla extract until smooth.
More Easy Dessert Recipes from Kids Activities Blog
- Candy loaded campfire brownies will be the hit of your next camping trip!
- These five ingredient s’mores bars are all the yumminess of s’mores with less mess.
- Strawberry dessert lasagna looks very fancy, but it is incredibly easy to make.
- Mug cakes are my favorite solution when I want to bake something yummy, but I’m short on time.
- If you’re craving Samoas once Girl Scout cookie season is over, whip up a batch of these delicious Samoas style butter cookie bars!
When was the last time you made zucchini cake? I am getting hungry just thinking about it…