Let’s do a Memorial Day craft with the kids! While kids of all ages will enjoy this easy paint with marbles craft, it is specifically suited for younger kids like older toddlers, preschool, Pre-K and Kindergarten.
Celebrating Memorial Day with Kids
Memorial Day is an American holiday, observed on the last Monday of May, honoring the men and women who died while serving in the US military. Memorial Day 2021 will occur on Monday, May 31. – History
Memorial Day also marks the beginning of summer!
Related: Download & print our free Memorial Day coloring pages
Enjoy celebrating this holiday with your family and together you can make this fun and easy Memorial Day craft for kids which celebrates the red, white and blue while thinking back to the early “fireworks” that Frances Scott Key wrote about realizing that there is a cost to our freedom in America.
This post contains affiliate links.
Easy Fireworks Marble Painting Craft for Kids
I loved that this preschool craft was so easy to put together and my boys had a blast. Their favorite part was watching the marbles roll in the paint. And if I’m being honest, mine too...
Let’s start with the basics. You will need just a few things — have the kids help round up your art supplies!
Supplies Needed to Paint Fireworks with Marbles
Marble Painting Directions
1. Place your white paper inside the cookie sheet baking pan.
2. I used red and blue paint for a fireworks effect but you can use whatever colors you want. Place a small amount of paint in the pan. Just a tiny squirt. I made the mistake of putting too much the first time and had to redo it as it just looked like one big glob of red and blue paint on the paper.
3. Roll the marbles around in the pan.
4. Let it dry and start all over again with your next print!
Best Ages for Memorial Day Fireworks Art Project
My kids are 10, 7 and 3 and none of them got paint all over them, but I gave them clear instructions not to touch the marbles.Because this is such a simple Memorial Day craft idea, the ideal age can be quite young:
- Even toddlers can get in on the marble art fun because it doesn’t require any craft skills.
- Preschoolers love this simple marble painting activity because they can really embrace the process.
- Kindergartners and above will look to control the marble which takes coordination similar to an in-person video game!
- To make a more advanced activity for older kids: Have the kids blow the marbles around with a straw for an added twist to this activity!
Washable paint – red, white & blue
Baking pan – like a cookie sheet or jellyroll pan
- Place your white paper or paper plate inside the cookie sheet.
- Squirt a very small amount of each color of paint – red, white and blue – on the paper.
- Add a couple of marbles to the pan.
- Roll the marbles around by tipping the pan until you have the desired colorful firework effect.
- Let dry before hanging on Memorial Day!
Using this as a Memorial Day Craft for Your Celebration
While fireworks are generally associated with the Fourth of July (which this craft would also be great for), we liked the idea of tying in a war reminder that kids could wrap their minds around. The familiar words of the Star Spangled Banner, our National Anthem describe the scene:
O say can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,
Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?
Pairing this Memorial Day craft with one of our flag crafts (see end of this article) can be a really lovely way to talk about those who bravely fought so that we can be free.
More Fireworks Crafts for Kids on Memorial Day
- If you want another way to make a fireworks craft, check out this fireworks glitter art idea that kids of all ages can do.
- We have another fireworks craft that works really well with younger kids, check out the fireworks crafts for Kindergarten!
- Another really easy way to make fireworks art is with a painting technique using recycled toilet paper rolls…yep, you read that right! Here is the simple tutorial for making fireworks out of toilet rolls…or fireworks painting with toilet rolls to be more exact.
- Or if you want to try some straw painting, we make fireworks art that way too!
More American Flag Crafts for Kids On Memorial Day
More Memorial Day Ideas for Families
- We love these simple ideas for Memorial Day recipes kids will love, families can eat together and summer can be kicked off in a tasty way…
- At your Memorial Day celebration this year, create this simple and lovely fallen soldier table poem printable activity.
- This massive list of patriotic crafts will keep the entire family having fun together.
- I absolutely love this big list of red white and blue desserts for any patriotic celebration.
- These easy red white and blue patriotic food ideas are so simple kids can help make them!
- Red white and blue decorated Oreos are a hit anytime!
- Print off the USA banner for your Memorial Day celebration!
- And don’t miss our giant list of over 50 family time ideas for summer…
How did your fireworks painting craft turn out? Did your family have fun doing Memorial Day crafts together?